Many of us have gone through the frustration of not being able to find an appropriate piece of clothing for a particular event we need to go to. Be it a wedding, a party, a date or a business meeting – there’s just nothing you can put on your body and feel good.
That’s when sewing skills come in handy. With enough efforts and practice, you can create dresses, skirts, trousers, shirts, blazers that will be a perfect fit for your body type. This also the way you can express your creativity and develop your personal style.
So, there are tons of reasons why you should acquire sewing skills. And, making your own clothes is very easy. You just need to follow some rules. So, how is this done and where to start?
- Buy a material you like, preferably in shops that offer everything related to sewing. That way you will also be able to gain some information you need, from the shop workers that are often skilled at sewing.
- Join social media groups dedicated to sewing. That way you’ll be able to exchange opinions and tips about the topic. They might help you with something you struggle with and vice versa.
- Search for workshops where you’d be able to sew with other people. If you are a beginner, this will be a great starting point for you. Even if your sewing skills are well developed, this will also be a good place to keep you motivated and focused.
- Search interesting patterns online, print them out and start sewing. You’ll be able to find a plethora of great ideas for new designs.
- Spend a lot of time on YouTube. You’ll find numerous tutorials that explain in detail how to sew or even knit. You’ll discover different sewing techniques and a bunch of other useful information.
- Get inspired! Before you start sewing anything, spend some time on Pinterest or use old-school fashion magazines. You’ll start to imagine different designs and then made them a reality.
- Avoid making a lot of stuff that are made of poor-quality materials, but choose quality fabrics and invest money and time so as to get a great piece of clothing in the end.
- Upon purchasing fabrics – wash them or at least iron them. This way, you’ll see how much they would shrink or become loose.
- Before you sit at the sewing table, prepare everything you need. It gets kind of annoying to keep getting up and searching for things when you start working
- Avoid distractions. This is especially important when your start cutting fabric. You need to keep your hand steady and concentrate to cut it properly. Make your hair into a ponytail, so that it wouldn’t be in your face all the time.
- Wear something that makes you feel relaxed and comfortable.
- If after a while of cutting fabric and sewing you can no longer concentrate, you should stop working and do something else for a while.
- Learn how to use sewing machine properly. That includes the correct use of your feet as well as your hands.
- In order to cut the fabric properly, put something on it so that it wouldn’t move. You can use weights or anything similar.
- Before sewing, you should check steps to avoid tearing stitches if you make a mistake. If you do, just take a semi-ripper instead of scissors.
- Always check that only the intended fabric is under the needle so that you wouldn’t sew something unplanned – it happens.
- Avoid planning too many activities the day you are sewing, as it can make you tired when you are done.
These are some of the tips that have been useful for me and I hope it will help you as well. Keep practicing and you’ll be great at sewing in no time!